Welcome to the Garland School of Social Work! This page is designed to help incoming international students get connected to resources at Baylor University and within the city of Waco. If you are an international student, we hope you find this page helpful as you prepare to join us in Waco, Texas, and if you have not yet explored the general new student resource page, we encourage you to go there next.
Urgent Items: What to do after submitting your enrollment deposit.
- Check Baylor email daily
- Provide required I-20 information via Global Bears
- Make embassy appointment for Visa
- Make housing arrangements
Obtaining a Visa
- Provide required I-20 information to the Center for Global Engagement via Global Bears. I-20 is a required document for your visa application
- You will receive an email to your Baylor email address with instructions for obtaining your I-20
- Once you receive this email, log into Global Bears: https://globalbears.baylor.edu.
- Follow the I-20 instructions outlined in Global Bears
- Once your information is entered and approved by CGE, you will be able to download your initial status I-20 from Global Bears to apply for visa
- Make embassy appointment
- See this website to estimate the average time for a student visa appointment in various locations: average wait time website
- Contact Leslie Hicks or Tim Johnson with questions
- Last/Family Name A-M: Contact Ms. Hicks
- Last/Family Name N-Z: Contact Mr. Johnson
- COVID-19 vaccinations are currently required for entry into the US
Apartments fill up quickly, consider arranging your housing as soon as possible.
- The Arbors Apartments are within walking distance to main campus and dining halls, have furnished apartments, and typically house other international students
- Located ~2 miles (~3km) from the GSSW
- Other Apartment complexes in a similar price range and distance to campus:
- Fairmont Apartments (furnished, utilities included, often houses international students)
- Baylor Plaza Three (some units furnished, utilities included, often houses international students)
- For other housing options visit this site: https://www.baylorareahousing.com
The School of Social Work is on Baylor's downtown campus and transport to internships is often needed. Students are encouraged to anticipate transportation challenges and costs.
- Commercial ride shares (i.e. Lyft, Uber) and/or paying other Social Work students for rides have historically been the most effective, timely, and safe way to get around Waco
- Waco has an affordable bus system, but it typically adds a significant amount of time to a commute
- Please note, sometimes bus stops are far, and a student must walk through unsafe areas to get there
- The La Salle shuttle offers a shuttle that goes near campus and the School of Social Work Monday-Sunday
- Shuttle Pricing:
- One-Way: $1.50
- Day Pass: $3
- Shuttle Pricing:
- Some students consider biking, but keep in mind Waco does not always have clear bike lanes, and we recommend biking only during sunlight hours while wearing a helmet
- For more information, see GSSW Transportation document below
Baylor's Center for Global Engagement: Resources
BU World Weekly Email Newsletter sends out information about the following opportunities for international students.
- Global Bears Week (the week before classes start in August)
- Trip and event opportunities (i.e. NASA trip, outlet mall trip, Thanksgiving dinner)
- Weekly H-E-B runs that leave from the Baylor 5th Street Circle (next to the Bobo Spiritual Life Center and Hankamer)
- Fact Sheets
International students are welcome to join the Global Mission Leadership (GML) Program orientation sessions, when available. If interested, contact GML Program Coordinator, Annelise Kahler.
- Orientation Session Topics:
- Navigating Transportation in Waco
- Baylor Writing Center visit/Detailed overview on APA format
- Academic Integrity Overview
- Field Placement Orientation and Field Placement Visits
- Garland School of Social Work and Baylor University Campus Tour
- Library Orientation with Sinai Woods: How to find research online and available resources
- Ordering Textbooks
- Baylor resources