Each year, the Garland School of Social Work identifies four graduating students as recipients of the Outstanding Student and Alicia Martinez Spirit of Social Work awards. For over 20 years, students have been celebrated for their excellence in various categories during the annual GSSW Family Dinner. During the event, the entire School family including students, faculty, staff, field instructors and friends come together to celebrate the year's accomplishments!
The Outstanding Student Award recognizes students who demonstrate exceptional academic performance, professional behavior, and collegiality. This student excels in their contributions to the Garland School of Social Work (i.e., scholarship, engagement in classroom and field, service on committees and/or student groups).
Click the links below to read about previous Outstanding Student Award Winners:
- 2022 MSW Outstanding Student: Trinity Martinez
- 2022 BSW Outstanding Student: Micaela Jones
- 2021 MSW Outstanding Student: Samantha Nelms
- 2021 BSW Outstanding Student: Asianna Brown
- 2020 MSW Outstanding Student: Romy Nunes
- 2020 BSW Outstanding Student: Meg Peck
The Alicia Martinez Spirit of Social Work Award recognizes students who embody the spirit of social work through engagement beyond the classroom. These students are influencers among their peers and demonstrate a commitment to social work values and the Garland School of Social Work by embodying social work holistically throughout their lifestyle and service. This might include championing social work innovations or advocacy within GSSW, Baylor, and/or the community.
Click the links below to read about previous Alicia Martinez Spirit of Social Work Award Winners:
- 2022 MSW Alicia Martinez Spirit of Social Work Student: Briana Fowler
- 2022 BSW Alicia Martinez Spirit of Social Work Student: Anais Tello
- 2021 MSW Alicia Martinez Spirit of Social Work Student: Alicia Martinez
- 2021 BSW Alicia Martinez Spirit of Social Work Student: Isabella Book
- 2020 MSW Spirit of Social Work Student: Joelle Gaines
- 2020 BSW Spirit of Social Work Student: Abu Kamara
Award Nomination Process
The Student Development Committee manages the Garland School of Social Work award process. Any GSSW student who graduates with a BSW or MSW in summer 2022, winter 2022, or spring 2023 is eligible for award consideration. Award recipients are recognized at the annual Garland School of Social Work Family Dinner at the conclusion of the school year.
Already know someone who should be nominated? Click here to submit a nomination today!
- End of Fall semester: Current faculty, staff, and students are invited to nominate students for each GSSW student award
- Mid Spring: Student nominated for award are contacted and asked to share additional information to support nomination
- Late Spring: Student Development Committee reviews all submitted information and selects award recipients. Award recipients are contacted.