Transfer Student Requirements
A Transfer Applicant is defined as any student applying to the Master of Social Work program who is currently enrolled in a CSWE accredited Master of Social Work program as a standard student, or has been within one calendar year of the time of submitting a completed application. Students who are enrolled in or have completed credit in their advanced year at another university's accredited social work program are not eligible to apply to Baylor's MSW program.
In addition to completing the application process to the Master of Social Work program, students planning to transfer to the Garland School of Social Work must also submit the following application materials:
- A letter of good standing from the MSW Program Director on official University letterhead
- If applicants have completed any hours in a MSW field placement, a letter of good standing from the MSW Field Director on official University letterhead is required.
- Syllabi for any courses you wish to be considered for transfer credit
- Supplemental essay response to the following questions:
- Why do you want to transfer to the Garland School of Social Work?
- What do you hope to gain from being a student at the Garland School of Social Work?
- What will you contribute to the Garland School of Social Work as a graduate social work student?
The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (ADAA) will make all decisions about acceptance of transfer credit for any required MSW course. Upon review of the syllabi, the ADAA may approve up to 12 hours of coursework for inclusion into the MSW standard degree requirements. The ADAA may approve an up to an additional 6 hours of coursework that qualify as elective credit. No credit will be given toward MSW coursework unless the following conditions apply:
- The course was taken in a graduate program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- A course description and syllabus are provided by the student, and the ADAA judges the courses to be an appropriate substitution for a specific course in the graduate program.
- The work must have been done while the student was enrolled in good standing as a graduate student.
- The work must have been done within five years prior to the award of the master's degree from Baylor.
- The school from which the credits are transferred must be accredited by a regional accreditation agency.
- No earned grade for transfer is less than a "B."
- None of the transfer coursework consists of extension or workshop courses.
Students who do not meet the eligibility requirements as a transfer student, but wish to have other graduate-level courses considered for transfer as elective coursework, may submit coursework for review and approval of transfer once admitted and enrolled in the MSW program at Baylor. This review and approval will be conducted by the MSW Program Director. Upon admission, students must submit all syllabi for any courses you wish to be considered for transfer credit to the MSW Program Director. The MSW Program Director may approve a maximum of 6 semester hours for the standard program as elective credits and a maximum of 3 semester hours for the advanced standing program as elective credits.