The mission of Baylor University’s advising community, in collaboration with faculty mentors and campus partners, is to provide relationship-centered guidance to students by delivering accurate and efficient advising services, empowering them to take ownership of their academic and professional goals.
- Guide students in creating and implementing individualized educational plans, including both curricular and co-curricular experiences.
- Monitor student progress towards academic and professional goals
- Demonstrate a caring community by offering a balance of challenge and support to students
- Refer students to appropriate resources to facilitate student success
- Provide students with exceptional advising by offering quality training and professional development to advisors
Pre-Social Work Students
- Less than 30 hours - advised in University Advisement, Paul L. Foster Success Center, Sid Richardson Building, Room 230, (254) 710-7280.
- 30 semester hours or more - advised by Rachel_Garcia@baylor.edu, Academic Advisor, 811 Washington, Room #220.13, (254) 710-7457.
During the advising season, you will be invited by email to make an appointment for advising. The link in this email, in case the email is lost, is also available on your Student Success Collaborative (SSC) page. When you log in, you will find the invitation at the very top of the home screen with a button that leads you to the scheduling calendar.
Your advisor will have many appointments available during the advising season. If you are unable to find an appointment that fits your schedule, please contact your advisor by phone or email. Advisors will make every effort to schedule appointment times for all students to be advised before their registration dates.
If you need additional help with scheduling your advising appointment, you can email your advisor or call (254) 710-7457.
Prepare for Advising
- Pay attention to advising-related emails, as you will need to schedule your appointment through a specific link sent directly to you.
- Schedule your appointment early to ensure you are prepared before your assigned registration date and time.
- Before arriving, review your degree audit and the degree plan you received via email from your advisor after your previous advising session.
- Check BearWeb for any holds you may have on your registration.
- If you wish to make changes to your degree plan, come prepared with a new plan that represents those changes.
- Make use of the Schedule of Classes to see when courses are being offered. If you notice a time-conflict between two or more of your advised courses, alert your advisor.
- If you are in need of additional resources in order to achieve academic success, please let your advisor know. Advisors are here to assist you with your academic goals and to connect you to resources that will help you achieve those goals.
- Bring a list of questions or concerns you would like to discuss with your advisor.
- Arrive at least 5 minutes prior to your appointment so that your advisor can stay on schedule and meet with all students.
- If you are unable to make your advising appointment due to an emergency situation, please let your advisor know as soon as possible. You may do so by phone or email.
Students in the School of Social Work are required to be advised each semester.