Click on the button below for the campus that you are enrolled in for the most accurate information related to your MSW program and experience.
Waco Campus Info Online Campus Info
Goals of the MSW Program
Students completing the MSW Program foundation year will be able to:
- Apply generalist social work knowledge and skills in practice using a strengths-oriented, ecological systems perspective that demonstrates respect for human diversity and cultures.
- Use critical thinking skills in applying knowledge and ethical principles to social work practice and in evaluating scientific inquiry including practice-based research.
- Demonstrate a developing social work identity that includes self-awareness, professional use of self, use of supervision and consultation, and an appreciation of the profession’s values and history.
- Use conceptual frameworks to understand development and behavior across the life course, the interactions among individuals, families, groups, organizations, communities, and larger systems.
- Understand the forms and mechanisms of privilege and oppression, and apply strategies of advocacy and social change that advance social and economic justice globally.
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge for social work practice that are spiritually informed and that recognize religious contexts.
Students completing the specialized year will be able to practice the foundation goals at an advanced level and, in addition, within one’s area of specialization, they will be able to:
- Discover, compare, apply, and evaluate conceptual perspectives, models, and research that guide advanced practice.
- Demonstrate competence in advanced practice skills and the evaluation of advanced practice skills.
- Demonstrate competence in both working autonomously and working collaboratively.
- Know, evaluate, integrate and use literature in decision-making in advanced practice.
If you are a prospective student looking for more information about the MSW program, please click here for information about pursuing your MSW in Waco or Online.