Understanding Poverty is the third and final set of lessons in the Walking Alongside curriculum. This series addresses some of the common assumptions people make about why people live in poverty as well as provides information about government aid programs. Understanding Poverty includes six lessons and an informative guide to government aid programs. In addition, you will find a Walking Alongside welcome and introduction, Understanding Poverty introduction, and Understanding Poverty evaluation form.
Welcome and Introduction
Lessons and Teaching Leaflets
- Understanding Poverty Introduction
- The Poor Will Always Be With You
- Lesson 2: Not Everyone Deserves Our Help
- Lesson 3: If They'd Just Get A Job, They Wouldn't Need Help
- Lesson 4: We All Have The Same Opportunity In America
- Lesson 5: She Can Afford That And She's On Welfare?
- Lesson 6: What Can One Person Do About Poverty?
- Welfare 101: The Language of Poverty
Click here to download the entire Understanding Poverty Unit.