Addiction and Recovery
On this page, you will find our recommendations of books, research articles, editorials, websites, movies, podcasts, and other media that we use in our research and work with Addiction and Recovery.
- Benz, J., & Robb-Dover, K. (2015). The Recovery-minded church: Loving and ministering to people with addiction. IVP Books.
- Pittman, J., Taylor, SW., (2006). Christianity and the treatment of addiction: An ecological approach for social workers. https://www.nacsw.org/Download/CSW/Addiction.pdf
Research Articles and Editorials:
- DiReda, J., Gonsalvez, J. (2016). The role of spirituality in treating substance use disorders. Journal of Psychology and Clinical Psychiatry, 6(4). https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5c5f/9b2b413897b784706a68082ae991de7c5bdb.pdf
- Grim, B., & Grim, M. (2019). Belief, behavior, and belonging: How faith is indispensable in preventing and recovering from substance abuse. Journal of Religion and Health, 58, 1713–1750. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10943-019-00876-w
- Laudet, A. B., Morgen, K., & White, W. L. (2006). The role of social supports, spirituality, religiousness, life meaning and affiliation with 12-step fellowships in quality of life satisfaction among individuals in recovery from alcohol and drug problems. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 24(1-2), 33–73. https://doi.org/10.1300/J020v24n01_04
- Windle, M. (2012). A multilevel development contextual approach to substance use and addiction. National Institutes of Health, 5, 124–136. doi:10.1057/biosoc.2009.9.
- Faith Recovery. (2020, February 26). Drug Rehab. from https://www.drugrehab.com/recovery/faith-and-religion/.
- Dunham, D. (2018, January 30). A High Calling: The Challenges of a Church-Based Addiction Ministry. Pastor Dave Online. https://pastordaveonline.org/2018/01/30/a-high-calling-the-challenges-of-a-church-based-addiction-ministry/.
Movies, Podcasts, and Other Media:
- Storm, J. (Host). (2020, August 27). Healing from trauma and addiction: A conversation with blackout girl [Audio podcast episode]. In Let’s Talk Addiction & Recovery. Hazelden Betty Ford. https://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/professionals/resources/podcasts
- O’ Dell, S. (Host). (2020, August 14). Boundaries and balance with Sarah [Audio Podcast]. In Recovery Live. https://podbay.fm/p/recovery-live/e/1597425584
Websites and Other Resources:
- Addiction Resources. (2020, March 20). Recovery Ministries. from https://rurecovery.com/free-resources/.
- Navigating Addiction and Treatment. (2020, September 25). Addiction Recovery. from https://www.addictionpolicy.org/navigating-addiction.
- Recovery-Oriented Systems of Care. (2016). Texas Health and Human Services. from https://hhs.texas.gov/services/mental-health-substance-use/adult-substance-use/recovery-oriented-systems-care.
- Hambrick, B. (2015, March 5). My Resources on Addiction. Brad Hambrick. http://bradhambrick.com/my-favorite-posts-on-addiction/.
- Tennessee Recovery Congregations - Faith Based Toolkit.
- Understanding Addiction and Supporting Recovery: Strategies and Tools for Clergy and Other Congregational Leaders.
- Recovery Church Movement
- Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation