- Cypress, TX
- Waco Campus
- MSW 2022
- Torchy's Tacos
Why did you choose Baylor's MSW Program?
- There were SO many reasons I chose Baylor’s MSW program! One reason is the small cohort size. I didn’t want to just feel like a number in a big program; I wanted a program where I could build personal connections with my peers and professors. Another reason was the integration of faith and practice. I also loved the field experience program at Baylor and the placement process for that. I truly felt like choosing Baylor gave me an opportunity for a holistic education that was academically rigorous, but also very personal.
What is a cause you are passionate about?
- I am extremely passionate about mental health, especially with survivors of abuse and trauma.
How does a Master of Social Work degree fit into your career plan?
- I want to be a clinical counselor, and an MSW is a great step in preparing me for that! My undergraduate degree is not in social work, so I feel like an MSW will help me obtain the well-rounded education I need to work in the community.
What is a piece of advice you would give a prospective student?
- Be open! Those two words can mean a lot of things, but they are especially true when it comes to learning. Don’t be afraid to ask dumb questions (there really are none, as long as you’re receptive to any answer). Be open to building relationships with great mentors and professors. And mostly, be open to being wrong. I firmly believe that you can learn something from everyone, but only if you’re willing to change your own thoughts sometimes. If you really open yourself up, you’ll be amazed at how much you can learn and grow.
Unique characteristic about yourself
- I am a first-generation college graduate.