MSW Student Spotlight: Carly Kirk
- Katy, TX
- Diana R. Garland of Social Work, Houston Campus
- Graduated with undergrad from Baylor in May 2016 and Master's in May 2018
- My favorite restaurant in Waco was Lula Janes, but in Houston I would have to say Tiny’s. Both delicious breakfast bakeries!
Why did you choose Baylor?
- I am a third-generation Baylor Bear! Growing up, I was surrounded by my grandfather, and my father and all of his siblings who attended and absolutely loved Baylor University. From a young age, I decided that I would one day follow in their footsteps. My dreams came true and I spent the most amazing 4 years at Baylor for my undergrad! Upon graduation, I knew that if I would be continuing on to grad school, it had to be through Baylor. Thankfully the Houston campus of the School of Social Work opened just at the right time!!
What is a cause you are passionate about?
- I am passionate about disaster preparedness among mental health professionals. After being involved in the midst of Hurricane Harvey and seeing the impact that it has had on my community, I chose to focus my research and my capstone project on how we can prepare well to respond most effectively to community crisis.
What is a piece of advice you would give a prospective student?
- My advice would be to dive all in—to classes, to internship, to your peers, to learning, to connecting with professors and other professionals! These past two years have been formative for me in so many ways, both professionally and personally. I would encourage prospective students to commit to the degree as a priority, give your all, and plan well so that you are taking care of yourself along the way. It’s tough and challenging, but it is the greatest feeling to make it out having given 100%.