Apply to the program
GML receives applications every two years. Please note that the next GML cohort will begin in August of 2021.
Applicants are encouraged to submit both MSW and GML applications by February 1, 2021. The application fee for GML candidates who complete all application materials for both applications by this date will be waived.
All application materials for both the MSW and GML applications are due no later than March 1, 2021.
Please thoroughly review all eligibility and international requirements for the MSW application here. In order for GML candidates to be considered for the GML scholarship, they must also complete the MSW application and be accepted into the MSW program.
Here are some additional eligibility requirements for GML students:
Graduation from an accredited college/university
If you want to check the accreditation of your college/university, please email a copy of your undergraduate transcript to MSW_Admissions@baylor.edu.
Our admissions coordinators are proficient in reviewing academic records from different educational systems from around the world. If however, the coordinator is unable to verify the accreditation status or authenticity of academic documents, etc. the applicant will be asked to provide supplemental information or to obtain an evaluation from WES (World Education Services). The approximate cost of the WES application fee is $230 USD and it takes approximately 7-10 days to process.
If from a non-English speaking country this must be demonstrated through qualifying TOEFL/IELTS scores. The costs of the TOEFL or IELTS vary depending on location but average around $200 USD. Minimum scores required for English Language Proficiency are:
IELTS minimum score: 6.5 and scores received are valid up to 2 years from the date of the examination.
TOEFL minimum score: Paper: 550; Computer: 213; Internet: 80 and scores received are valid up to 2 years from the date of the examination.
Completion of at least two years of dedicated full-time leadership service in a human service organization or church congregation
Affiliation with a church congregation and/or organization that will endorse his or her study plan and support his or her return to ministry upon completion of graduate education
A commitment to implement knowledge and advocate for change in a specific area of social injustice in the nation where they intend to serve (through the application of the International Social Work Concentration)
Steps to Apply (after applications open September 2020):
- Apply to Diana R. Garland School of Social Work. You are applying as a 2-year MSW student. If you have questions about your MSW application call (001) 254-710-7853 or email MSW_Admissions@baylor.edu.
- Apply for Global Mission Leadership Scholarship Program. The GML application will be a form sent to you in an email upon completion of the MSW application. You must indicate on the MSW application that you intend to apply for the GML program as well.
- You must fully complete both your MSW and GML applications by March 1, 2021 (application fee waived for applicants who submit all application materials by February 1, 2021.)
The GML portion of the application will include the following items:
- General information about yourself as well as your educational and ministry background, etc.
- Information about who you are, your personal goals, and your calling to service. Please thoughtfully consider your responses to these questions.
- Supervisor Reference Email Contact Information: Please ask the director or supervisor in your organization to complete the form that is emailed directly to them.
- Pastoral Reference Email Contact Information: Please ask a pastor in your local congregation to complete the form that is emailed directly to them.
- Academic Writing Sample: Please upload file of a previous paper from your undergraduate or graduate coursework demonstrating academic writing proficiency. This paper can be on any topic of concern to the applicant, but papers relevant to social work practice are highly recommended.
- Statement of Intent to Serve in the Country of Concern.
Please contact GlobalMissionLeader@baylor.edu if you have any questions about your eligibility or the application process.